Monday, September 19, 2011

Oh look, another teen blog.

  To say that I'm disdainful of the idea of a blog is an exaggeration. I really have nothing against bloggers and the "blogosphere." It's just that I'm disdainful of the idea that I'm sharing a platform with a bunch of suburban 14-year old white girls who write their emo poetry while listening to My Chemical Romance (I do all my emo-writing while listening to Mudvayne, thank you very much).

"You know, sometimes I'm sad about stuff."


  I'm also a bit hesitant to share a platform with the legions of fan-girls/boys (No sexism here. I judge everyone equally) who write their Harry Potter/Twilight fan-fiction (word of advice: Don't look it up. You will regret it very deeply). But whatever. I'll step off of my soapbox, swallow my pride, and actually talk about something actually worthwhile: my school (yeah I said it. Wanna fight about it?)
  If you didn't take the time to read my bio (for which I don't blame you. Walls of text are annoying), then I'll say it right here: I'm a theatre Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts (practically rolls off the tongue).

Here's where a lesser person would post a picture of themselves doing a lame pose in front of the mirror with the words "Bee Tee Dubs 4 lyfe!!!!11!" We don't do that here. Instead, enjoy this kitten with a sweater.

  And just to be clear: This log of the web isn't going to be me gushing "oh my gawsh, you guyz, btw is liek, the best school ever. fresh fo life!" No. I want to establish that I am extremely grateful that I made it into BTW, and that I can't imagine myself anywhere else (well, maybe Starfleet), but my goal with this log of webs is really to chart my progress as a playwright/actor. And this isn't me acting like Jude Law in Contagion. I know blogging doesn't count as writing or journalism. I don't think I'm going to change the world or anything. This is for my purposes (mainly a grade for a class). I'm just putting my thoughts and personal revelations about art down.
 


  How do you define the word "art?" A pretty picture? A brilliantly worded poem? That film your friend Eric did in college? The one he insists has deeper meaning?

See, I stayed on the flowers for one second to represent the very temporary state of our existence, man. And the ball rolling down the hill? That was to show how racial issues are still very present.
  I've always thought that art is a constructive expression of human emotion. But understand that "art" means different things to different people. My definition of the word could be entirely different from yours. Our friend Nicolas Cage says:

I've always seen art as a means to an end. It really means nothing more than just a way to get from point A to point B. Point B is usually money, but it can be something else, I guess...but it's usually money.
  Actually no. He never said that. But you get the idea. Art is a malleable term. It can be a sculpture, a play, a song, a dance style, or a film.

Or, if you're Nicolas Cage, a way to pay for your German castle.

1 comment:

  1. "...theatre student* at Booker T..."

    I'm not a theatre.

    ReplyDelete